Since I was in college, I’ve enjoyed going to Half Price Books, a chain of used bookstores that first launched in Texas. Now I love going with our dogs to shop for books–and am happy to say that dogs are allowed in Half Price Books stores.
So get ready to shop your local Half Price Books with your dog! Your dog will need to be leashed or carried when shopping.
You can also bring your dog along if you’re selling books to Half Price Books! As you probably know if you’ve sold books there in the past, there can be a bit of a wait sometimes as staff members tally up your books so you and your dog can look around through the store while you wait. Last year, the chain bought over 2 million books from customers.
Taking Your Dog to Half Price Books
Before you hit the road with your dog to go do some book buying (or selling), give your local Half Price Books a quick call to confirm that your dog may accompany you while shopping–just to be on the safe side.
With over 120 Half Price Books locations across the country, there can be variances in local ordinances so we always suggest calling ahead.
The key to having a good time shopping with your dog–and making sure stores that welcome pets REMAIN dog friendly–is taking a few extra steps before and during your shopping trip:
Before Your Trip
- Pack a leash no longer than 6 feet. A shorter leash will help prevent your dog from becoming tangled in displays and minimizes the tripping risk for other shoppers.
- Leave the retractable leash at home. Retractable leashes can really present a tripping risk in stores.
- Pack a cleanup kit. Along with poop bags, pack some paper towels and hand sanitizer. You never know.
During Your Trip
- Make a potty stop before entering the store. Even if your dog peed before leaving home, take a few minutes to visit the trees in the parking lot.
- Keep your dog near. For both the safety of your dog and fellow shoppers, keep your dog at your side while shopping.
- Pick up any accidents immediately. If your dog has an accident, pick it up immediately. Especially if you have a male dog who likes to mark, keep a special eye out. When you see your dog looking a little too interested in one spot, speed up your walking or distract your dog with a treat. There are a lot of smells in a store (and these are used books, after all, so there are scents from many homes on those shelves) so watch your dog.
Share Your Photos on Social Media
You’ll find many photos of dogs in Half Price Books stores on social media using the hashtag #HPBDogs–be sure to tag photos of your dog searching for a new book!
Should You Take Your Dog To Half Price Books?
Yes, Half Price Books welcome leashed dogs in the store–but SHOULD you take your dog to the store?
Well, the answer depends on your dog.
Unlike home improvement stores which are big and loud, even if you visit during non-peak hours, Half Price Books stores are smaller and quiet–so they are a perfect store to visit if your dog is new to shopping.
And unlike home improvement stores, many Half Price Books locations are carpeted–so if you are worried about your dog having potty accidents or marking, this isn’t a good choice for you. (If, however, your dog has arthritis, a cushioned carpeted floor may be a welcome and comfortable choice.)
Also, if your dog has any kind of aggression–to people or other dogs–dog-friendly stores are not for your dog.
If your dog is happy going to stores, then definitely take your dog to Half Price Books! I like to take Barli to the bookstore after a long dog walk so he’s a bit tired and happy to stay at my side and rest as I browse.
Can Service Dogs Go to Half Price Books?
Yes, a trained service dog that is required to assist you is allowed in any Half Price Books location under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA):